Portable electrical generators supply an glorious source of power, but if badly installed or operated, can become deadly.
Transportable generators are excellent to have when the power goes out. But when employing a generator, there are 3 risks you need to understand about in order to avoid them. They are electrical shock, Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and fire.
When in charge of a device which is basically built to provide electricity, electrocution is an obvious danger. When employing a generator there is a chance of getting electrocuted. Make sure to keep your generator dry and if it stormy or wet don't use. Operate your generator on a dry surface under an open, roof-like unit. Don’t touch the generator unless your hands are dry.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning happens when you breathe your generators harmful exhaust. Carbon Monoxide is so devastating as it is a “silent killer” “you can not see, taste or smell it. Most critical, is to never employ a generator inside. This includes: within your home, garage, cellar, crawl space or any partial or enclosed area which is hooked up to your living space. Using a fan, or opening windows and doors is not enough to prevent CO build-up.
Ultimately, risks from fire always exist when operating an item like a generator which is dependent upon a flamable fuel source. Happly, preventing fires while using your portable generator can be done easily. Propane, gasoline, kerosene, and any other flammable liquids should be brought outside for storage. All containers should be correctly labeled.
Don’t store fuel near any fuel burning appliance like a gas hot water heater. Invisible fumes can move along the ground if fuel is spilled. It can then be lit by the appliance’s pilot light. Ultimately, turn your generator off and wait for it to cool down before refueling. Spilt fuel could ignite on a hot engine.